To kick of an exciting 2022, Space Intelligence are hiring a Graduate Geospatial Support Officer. This will be a 6 month internship supported by the Graduate Career Advantage Scotland scheme
Salary: £10.50 per hour, 35 hours per week
Space Intelligence is an exciting satellite data analysis company based in Edinburgh. Our mission is to make the world greener through enabling others to plan and monitor their Nature Based Solutions projects. We support developers of Nature Based Solutions in their project development and monitoring, ensuring delivery of climate benefits. We do this by providing information on land cover, analysing habitats and above ground carbon storage across the world. We work with governments, NGOs and large multinationals to provide trusted information backed by world class science.
We are a diverse and multicultural team rich in academic, scientific and industry experience. You can find out more about the team at https://www.space-intelligence.com/about-us/
About the role
Reporting to the Geospatial Platform Lead, the Geospatial Support Officer intern will support the development and delivery of our new geospatial web platforms. We are seeking a person who is passionate about geospatial and the environment, self-motivated and with a proactive attitude to work. You will be responsible for the curation and maintenance of geospatial datasets to feed in our existing and upcoming web mapping platforms. You will need to assess the suitability, quality and appropriateness of datasets and then perform any required processing for loading into our web maps. You will become an expert in our platforms and provide user support through handling first line support queries and writing help documentation.
This will be an excellent opportunity for a GIS, geoscience or environmental sciences graduate with some experience and knowledge of GIS and an interest in supporting innovative tools to help tackle climate change and biodiversity loss. This internship will provide the graduate with the chance to build upon their existing knowledge and experience, learn new technical geospatial skills and valuable team working skills in a dynamic and agile satellite data analytics start-up. It will be an excellent foundation for a career in the geospatial sector.
– data processing and analysis to support the creation of key geospatial datasets delivered through existing and new mapping platforms
– handle user queries by becoming an expert in the platforms and providing high quality user support
– produce clear and concise help documentation
– provide geospatial data support to other projects in the wider team as required
– Undergraduate degree in geography, GIS, environmental science or related field
– Demonstrable experience with geospatial technology (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS) and data to process, analyse and visualise geospatial data
– Knowledge and experience of defining datasets, data management and understanding data quality and integrity.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Attention to detail
– Experience in HMTL and CSS
– Experience in Python or SQL
– Experience in working as part of a team
You must be an eligible member of the GCAS Talent Pool to apply to this internship.
You can find information about GCAS, including eligibility on the website: https://gcas.co.uk/graduates/what-we-offer
If you are ready to apply, complete the form: https://gcas.co.uk/graduates/how-to-apply/
If eligible, you will gain access to the application process for this vacancy within 3 working days.
Closing date: Apply by Wednesday 26th Jan, 5pm via GCAS